Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Tour de Colombia

By now, Jim is back in Panama City after a well earned and hopefully satisfying "vacation" back home in cold and snowy Richmond, Utah.  He, at this moment, is no doubt is up to his elbows in bureaucracy attempting to get the Little Red Truck in a shipping container and on it's way to Cartagena, Colombia.

I, on the other hand, am in a finca in Santa Fe Antioquia, Colombia, a charming colonial town established by Spaniards too long ago for anyone to relate to.  I'm the odd man out in a group of four Western Canadians that, true to their
caricature, say, "eh?" at the end of most sentences.  They are old friends of 20+ years, and are having a great time with each other.  Most of their conversations are about mutual associations and experiences, and inside jokes, which I am not a part of.  They do treat me well, and are as hospitable as they can be toward an American that crashed their party.

We are on a five day tour of paragliding sites within a three hour auto radius of Medellin, and I must say, the flying has been interesting and spectacular.  Some observations and thoughts:

-I've experienced what it is like to be in the air in a gust front of a thunderstorm, trying to land.  Thankfully, all turned out safe and sound, using a cool head and some luck.

-I'm learning, or relearning, the pricncilples of patience, and focus, as conditions in the air change and I am forced to adapt and make the correct decisions to remain safe.

-The Colombian people are generous and kind.  Today, I sank out half way to the landing zone and had to make an unexpected landing on a steep semi-forested mountainside.  A local flyer saw me, and voluntarily landed on top of the ridge above to tell me there was a launch just up the hill from me that would allow me a second flight to town, rather than a long walk down the mountain.  

-Colombia, because of it's drug history, gets a bad rap.  This country has treated be well, and is beautiful.

-Although I do miss my home and my loving family, I am thrilled to be here, and I feel alive and exhilarated.
The first photo is by me in flight.  Spectacular waterfalls, eh?  The second is from launch overlooking the town of  Cocorna, with a soccer field the landing zone.

No comments:

Post a Comment